Welcome to my post on my Liverpool Medical School interview. There is a lot to say so I’m going to dive straight into it… if I’m being honest this was the worst medical school interview that I had. Which in actuality was kind of surprising because it was my 3rd medical school interview. The interviews I had done prior was at Hull York Medical School and the University of East Anglia. But I had done both of those interviews in late December and by then I still hadn’t heard from Liverpool. The University of Liverpool send out their interview invites in early January. So, I received my interview invite on the 11th of January and of course, I was ecstatic.

The interesting thing about Liverpool interview dates is that you choose your own slot- the time and date. This was the first interview I had that didn’t allocate you your interview slot. And I think it is actually a better system, it’s more convenient by ensuring you get a time that best suits you. The dates were between the 28th of January to the 15th of February. But I decided to choose the earliest date. Purely because as I mentioned before, I had my other interviews back in December. And I thought the longer I wait, the more I would forget the interview preparation I did. When you have a chain of interviews near enough back to back, you start to get into a good rhythm. Your confidence goes up and you just feel like you know what you’re doing. I also thought that maybe the interviewers will be fed up by the 15th of Feb (LOL), but I’m sure that’s not true.


When the day of my Liverpool Medical School interview came it was a very different feeling to my previous interviews. The night before is where the story started… the day of the interview hadn’t even come yet, and things were already going wrong. I felt very ill in the night and was up until the early hours of the morning. I couldn’t figure out what it was or why it was happening. But my suspicion was a new fruit I tried (and didn’t like). I woke up the next morning not feeling great, but I was still feeling well enough to go to my interview and was ready to go.

Moving on to my journey, I struggled to find my way once I got to Liverpool and kept getting flustered when I missed my way. In the end, I asked a woman walking on the road where the building was and lo and behold it was directly opposite me.

I think this shows that I wasn’t expecting the location of the interview to be what it was. Eery is one descriptive word I’d use for it. Do you know those spooky building like the ones in Harry Potter? That what it looked like. The building was Lutyens Crypt, Crypt Hall, look it up on google images if you’re curious. When I entered the building, there were security guards and senior students that gave me a name sticker. There was a long gap between when I first arrived to when the interview started. We waited in an area for the group of candidates who had their interview before us to finish. We hung up our coats on a rail and this got moved for us to the debriefing room.


At the briefing, we watched a couple of videos on a TV Screen which explained everything we needed to know about the interview process. Right after this, we underwent the whole signing in the process. This was the part where we gave in documents including 4 personal statement copies. All of this lasted a while, but it gave me the opportunity to talk to the other candidates. So after around 20 minutes of waiting, we all headed over to the next room, for the interview to commence.


The layout of the MMI was going from booth to booth in a large room. In the large room. there were multiple circuits occurring at once. As it wasn’t a perfect circle it was a tad confusing at times, in terms of knowing where to go next. Luckily there were stewards shuffling us around, but I did get confused once or twice. 

The questions asked were typical questions you would expect from a medical school interview. One thing about the interview that really stuck out to me was the interviewers. Most of them showed very minimal emotions. They gave nothing back, so you really had no clue whether you were doing well or not. One, in particular, I would even say was scary. This really added to the uncanny feel of the building.

They filled in our scores on tablets which I think is actually very modern and chic. I remember in most of the stations I finished before the time was up. When this happened, the interviewers asked me if I had anything to add. If I didn’t, silence filled the booth until the station ended. Looking back on this, it was very awkward in some instances and the only thing to do was avoid eye-contact. But I was able to use that time to reflect on the interview and prepare for the next one.

Post interview

The interview flew by and was finally over. At my Liverpool interview, I met a couple of really nice people that I was able to have good conversations with before and after the interview. The debrief happened and they even gave us chocolates and gift bag like the ones they give you at open days.  I left the interview and had a lot of time to kill before my train back to London. Up in Liverpool it was very cold, wayyyy colder than I have ever experience in London. But I managed to find a seat in McDonald’s until my train where I got a meal and a hot chocolate to warm me up.

That is the end of my Liverpool Medical School interview experience, it was not the best, but I learnt a lot from it. If you have any questions about the medical application process or my life as a medic, please ask. Feel free to leave a comment, message me via the contact me page or DM me on Instagram.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.